At 911 Duty Gear and our partners Smith & Warren, we recognize the significance of preserving your badge's appearance. We frequently receive inquiries such as, "How should I go about cleaning my badge?" This guide is designed to assist you in maintaining your badge properly, ensuring it remains pristine without risking any damage to its finish. Canadian Police, Law Enforcement, Firefighter, and Paramedic personnel alike can reference this guide to keep your badge looking pristine!
How to Properly Clean Your Badge:
Method 1: Non-Abrasive Surface Cleaner (e.g., Windex):
Utilizing a non-abrasive surface cleaner like Windex proves to be an effective approach without compromising the finish of your badge. Follow these straightforward steps:
- Spray the cleaner onto your badge, targeting the area you wish to clean.
- Allow the cleaner to sit on the badge for 10-30 seconds, enabling it to penetrate and lift dirt or grime.
- Gently wipe the badge dry using a microfiber or soft cloth. Repeat as necessary until the dirt/grime is removed and the badge regains its shine.
Method 2: Warm Water and Gentle Dish Soap:
An alternative cleaning method involves using warm water and mild dish soap. Here's a simple guide:
- Gently wash your badge under running warm water.
- Apply a small amount of soft soap to the badge's surface and continue washing gently.
- Once the badge is clean, thoroughly dry it using a soft cloth or microfiber towel.
What Not to Do:
- Do not use harsh cleaning agents: Refrain from using abrasive or harsh cleaning agents on your badge, as they can severely damage the surface finish and any protective lacquer coatings. Steer clear of jewelry polish, polishing compounds, Brasso, Simichrome, toothpaste, or any cleaners with abrasive properties.
- Do not attempt to polish your badge: If your badge lacks its shine, it's likely just dirty and needs cleaning. Polishing with abrasives is ineffective and can destroy the finish. Scratches from regular wear and tear are normal, but attempting to remove them should be done professionally by an experienced metal finisher during refurbishment.
Can I Get My Badge Refurbished?
If you're interested in restoring your Smith & Warren badge to a "like new" condition, reach out to Smith & Warren here, or contact us for more details on this service.
Can I Clean My Collar Brass the Same Way?
Absolutely! Both of our recommended cleaning methods are suitable for cleaning and washing your collar brass. As with your badge, avoid abrasive or harsh cleaning agents when caring for your collar brass.
Any other questions please reach out to our team!